Monday, February 3, 2014

The best Sunday ever....


We had the best Sunday yesterday.....maybe the best Sunday ever....

Saturday I had a real crappy day my legs were swollen and I was sore and off all day it was a struggle just to do anything and then Kev was staining our new front door and repairing the door jams which I will stain during the week when I woke on Sunday morning I just said lets not hang around home lets go out for the day....

What about the door I thought you wanted it finished and hung up?............

Who cares come on lets just go somewhere.....

So we all got dressed chucked some snacks in a bag with drinks and away we went....

We did we go????


                                           We went up to Katoomba to the Three Sisters....

We live at the bottom of the mountains which is about 40 mins or so from Katoomba and it is a really lovely road to drive on and check out all the scenery......


It was a beautiful day the weather was perfect and there wasn't heaps of people around like usual....

And of course we had to do the tourist thing and get our photo taken with The Sisters.....
 
 
There is an Aboriginal Legend that the three sisters were real and that there was a Bunyip in the mountains which would harm anyone who would cross him...
 
One day while out the sisters angered the bunyip and were standing on the ledge terrified when  their father who was a witchdoctor quickly turned the sisters into stone so they would be safe with his magic bone.The bunyip saw the father and gave chase to him -he quickly used his bone on himself and turned into a lyrebird but he dropped his bone....
 
Legend has it that the father still searches around the mountains looking for his magic bone so he could turn his daughters back to human form....
 

Well it is a lovely legend and the LM loved hearing this story...When he saw the sisters he said "oh no that one is the ugly one"  wrong story mate this is the 3 Sisters not Cinderella...ha ha


Kevin and the LM took a walk around to the sisters  and checked it all out a bit closer.....


We then drove over to the Scenic Railway...I was worried that I might not be able to climb into the train because of my legs but I thought heck forget it just try and if it doesn't work no problems but at least try ...

I did and guess what I got in no problem....


The ride down was amazing the LM was scared at first heck so was I but after a little while he kept asking Kev if they could go again on the train....


The train ride is the steepest in Australia.They have renovated it all up here since we last came and the train was all new and enclosed....


When we got to the bottom we decided to take the board walk and walk around to the cable car...The walk was a easy walk  the is level and they had seats and hand rails everywhere ...Kev said come on just take your time and we slowly walked around the rain forest checking it all out...


This is a replica of the original cable train that bush walkers and tourists would use to explore the rain forest...pretty basic compared to today's version....


LM wanted this one to work as well and was disappointed when we explained it was a model...


This beautiful statue was of a horse and cart and a miner and how they used to cart the coal to the buckets to be hauled up to the top....of course LM wanted to sit on the horse and insisted Da did as well.God Kev is good with LM he just put him on the horse and then climbed on behind him.....

No wonder LM thinks Kevin is his best friend....


Thank goodness we made it to the cable car my feet were really sore  by this time...So we climbed aboard for the steep ascend to the top...my goodness I cant say it enough the views were beautiful and I wish I had bought my new camera up to capture them instead these are all from my mobile and they arnt too bad...

SO next time you are looking for somewhere to go think about Katoomba it was a really great day and the three of us really enjoyed ourselves....

It just goes to show to check out your back yard first you never really know whats there so you can  really appricate it...
love


No comments:

Post a Comment

I love reading your comments and would like to Thank you for taking the time to leave them.
Love
Dee x