Tuesday, January 15, 2013

Baby Shower cake part 1

The baby shower is getting close and I have been looking at pictures of cakes on the net and thought how beautiful and that's what I want for Kerry's shower.

I bought 2 of the cutest little icing joggers for the top I have the colours worked out but now for the cake......

I used to do wedding cakes and such but that was years ago and I want this to be perfect for Kerry so  I rang a couple of cake shops up to find out how much for the 8inch cake and a 6 inch cake -they gave me the price for mud cake as it was cheaper and they were to cover it in fondant and all I have to do is the fun part and decorate it.

Well I hope you are sitting down because I wish I was when they told me the price $180 for the cakes undecorated I nearly died.

Now I can be stupid with money especially when it comes to things like this (if it is for Kerry I will get it no problem no thinking of the cost ) but not this time...

I am going to just do it , like I know I can do it but I am scared as it has been so long since I did a proper cake.

I am not doing mud cake either forget it .If I am going to do it it will be done right and its fruit cake all the way.

My dad's mother years ago (crap almost 30years) gave me this recipe for a fruit cake that she used to do and decorate and it is a wonderful light fruit cake the best you will ever taste.....So today I cooked my cakes..


Pictons fruit cake

2 x white wings sultana butter cake mix
1 kilo mixed fruit
3 teaspoons mixed spice
1 teaspoon vanilla essence
4 eggs
6 oz butter (real butter )
3 tablespoons water
sherry brandy or rum

preheat oven to medium heat I used 160

put all the above in a bowl and mix with a wooden spoon around 60-70 strokes.
place in a well greased  tin and bake 1 1/2 -2 hours....Remove from oven pour over brandy wrap in towel till cool.


You have to try this cake it is truly a yummy fruit cake and so easy.....Why are there 3 cakes when I only need 2? I have a husband who loves fruit cake and you know what they say the way to a mans heart is through his stomach......I just like spoiling him.

Now I have to cover it YUCK not looking forward to that.Oh well I let you know how that turns out

1 comment:

  1. I can almost smell it from here(I wish)
    It will look great as your cakes were always iced lovely.

    ReplyDelete

I love reading your comments and would like to Thank you for taking the time to leave them.
Love
Dee x